Finish Up Friday
I’m sure most of you have already seen this picture on Instagram or in the Late Night Quilters group on Facebook but I wanted to share it here too because I’m just so proud of myself and I want to clarify a few things.
I’m in another group on Facebook that is made up solely of people who have Sherri Lynn Wood’s book Improv Handbook for the Modern Quilter. In this book as we follow the scores she has created we often share photos and then share our discoveries and disappointments that occurred during the creating process. I love that because it really makes me have to reflect on what I made instead of just a make it and move on kind of process.
I wanted to share a discovery about this quilt and the quilting process.
First of all, everyone seems to really love this quilt and I have to fess up, it’s not pieced, it’s a cheater panel! Although I have pieced several quilts that use the wonky log cabin block as the main block and I absolutely love that block and if I actually ever owned the original Flea Market Fancy fabric by Denyse Schmidt (which is the fabrics shown in this panel) I might very well make this quilt. I purchased this panel plus the two border fabrics as a kit at the International Quilt Festival in Houston in approximately 2007 when I first started quilting and all I could feel comfortable with was buying and making kits.
It took me until a quilt retreat much later on to actually add the borders, make the backing and then finally this year I was able to quilt it. I think it was just waiting patiently for the right time for it to shine. If I had finished it back when I first bought it, it probably would have gotten lost in a sea of similar quilts but now it stands out and that fabric has become rather difficult to find.
What did I learn while quilting this quilt? I learned why it’s important to have a squared up quilt top (but I did not master how to actually do that). I fought with the borders getting crinkled while I quilted. I also learned that it’s not that easy to quilt different patterns in each little strip and make it look “natural” when transitioning between them. I think that would have been easier to accomplish on a domestic machine.
I learned that even though it had been several months since the last time I used a long arm, I felt pretty confident figuring out how to load the backing and batting and float the top for quilting. Even though I really like this quilt, I was glad I had not spent a significant amount of time piecing it because it was easier to play with my quilting designs.
Sometimes if something doesn’t work out exactly as planned, you just have to go with it.
Also, as I said in my last post, binding isn’t as hard as it seems. It’s just really time consuming, and I’m not talking about the hand stitching part, I’m just talking prepping the binding, sewing it onto the quilt and then top stitch zigzagging it down.
One more thing, it may seem like common sense but natural daylight is really the best for taking pictures of a quilt!
I’m hoping to continue this sew-mentum and get another quilt finished in February. It would be so awesome if I could finish one a month for the entire year but for now I’ll just take it one top at a time. The next top I want to quilt is my Epic Anna Maria Horner quilt and it’s huge so I’m sure it will take me a full day to quilt it.
Thanks for stopping by and have a lovely weekend.